This week of #VoTogs52 coincides with Chinese (Lunar) New Year. As second grand poobah of VoTogs, I have decreed that for Week 8 we celebrating Chinese New Year and asking you to take an Asian Inspired Photograph. 19 February (the day this is posted in Australia) marks the first day of the Year of the Goat.
A little trivia for you all.
- Traditionally the celebrations goes from Chinese New Year Eve to the 15th day after new year. Pity my work does not subscribe to that.
- About 1/6 of the world’s population celebrates this.
- The world’s largest annual human migration with 2.8 billion trips are made across China as families return home for the traditional reunion dinner on CNY Eve.
- As a kid, this was a time of great capital injection into the bank with the red packet money from family and friends. Conversely as an adult, it is a time of great outgoings.
- You do not visit anyone on the third day of Chinese New Year or let anyone visit you. You just do not. It is bad jojo.
- There are twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac, and I knew them all in order from about 5 years old.
- According to superstition you must clean your house thoroughly to sweep away misfortune and make way for good luck and fortune in the coming year. The old year and its spirits are banished by sweeping the floors before New Year’s Day. (Don’t sweep on New Year’s Day itself because you’ll sweep away the New Year fortune if you do.)
- The word for “eight” sounds similar to the word which means “prosper” or “wealth”. It is considered a lucky number. This week is Week 8!
What are we looking for this week? Anything Asian, be it chopsticks, a roast duck in the window of a restaurant, red packets (ang pow). Bonus if it is a Chinese Dragon dance, firecrackers and a goat (no need to proof it as a buck, wether or doe).
Take a photo in any style you like — self portrait, portrait, landscape, etc.
It’s not too late to join in the fun! We’d love to meet a few new folk, so join us! Catch up if you so wish (do read the rules, though!) and have some fun while challenging yourself! Jump over to the forums and sign up!
Keep in mind this is Week 8! As such, Kevin and I will be doing another monthly wrap soon! With that, we will be drawing a winner for a Pixel Pocket memory card wallet! To be eligible, you need to have all the photos for the month (Weeks 5, 6, 7 and 8) posted to the forums by Sunday 1 March 11:59pm Australian Eastern Standard Time.
Week 8 goes from the 19th of February until the 25th of February.
Swing by on the 26th of February for Week 9’s theme!
Finally, join our new forums and remember to post your weekly entry in the thread over there!